THE TDS SMART DRY SEPARATOR
X-Ray sorting technology has been around for a few decades and can be found in applications such as recycling, produce preparation, etc. Thanks to the rapid advancements of computer science, imaging & senor in just the past few years, we have successfully developed our own X-ray sorting technology, namely the TDS Separator, for coal and ore processing applications.
In the TDS X-ray sorting process, first the sorting criteria are established by “training” the X-ray camera and computer system to identify the “targets,” for example, reject or coal, low- or high-grade ore particles. The materials, either ROM coal or ore particles, are fed onto a moving conveyor belt. A dual X-ray source mounted above the belt scans every particle on the belt and the computer calculates and tracks the trajectory of the target particles. Once the target particles fall off the belt, a computer controlled airjet would action to shoot the target particles thus making separation happen, as illustrated in the schematic below. All these actions happen within a very short period of time as the belt typically travels 2.5 to 3 m/s and the computer controlled solenoids can open and close within milliseconds. A dust collector is equipped to capture the fugitive dust generated in the process. Today, the TDS separator has become a trendy technology that’s gaining more and more applications in both coal preparation and ore sorting.
Features & Typical applications
- A completely dry process that involve NO water (& the problems associated with using of water.)
- A smart system: use of AI, imaging technology and our proprietary algorithms to make the TDS a truly smart system in which integration of the software and hardware is highly optimized. Other smart features include self-diagnosis, remote operation, etc
- Proven Performance: Over 90 systems installed from 2016 to October, 2019. Low material misplacement, e.g., coal loss in reject 1-3% & reject in coal 3-5% (at 1.8 spec. gravity cut).
- Use of explosion proof core components.
- Radiation protection & safety: X Ray source provided by international recognized suppliers. Radiation seal plates on critical locations. Radiation dose ≤1 µSv/h at 3 ft from the X ray source.
- Strict manufacturing standards certified by ISO.
- The only sorter in the market that can do a three-product separation.
- Underground deshaling, i.e. removing the reject near the mine face underground.
- Coal preparation or ore sorting in areas facing water scarcity issues.
- Replacing handpickers.
- Deshaling or pre-concentration prior to conventional coal or ore processing.
- Deshaling or pre-concentration at the mine site before transportation.
- Deshaling in underground mines.
TDS Model Selection Table 1 for Feed Size: 300 mm - 50 mm
TDS belt width (mm)
TDS Model Selection Table 2 for Feed Size: 100 mm - 25 mm
TDS belt width (mm)
TDS Pilot Test
To help the choose the best process for each application, a pilot test is always performed at one of our test facilities. A bulk sample of 3 to 4 tons is usually required for the testwork through which the feasibility of dry sorting will be studied and the TDS operation parameters will be optimized. A comprehensive report will be presented to the customer after the test is completed. The customer is encouraged to participated the test process.